Gothic Pride Seattle is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization working to help strengthen and empower our diverse community through advocacy, education, social, and fundraising events. We strive to help make safe and lasting connections and alliances within and throughout the Seattle Gothic community, as well as in the greater Seattle area.
Through hosting and participating in local gothic events, we help strengthen and unify our community and promote connections. We create visibility though our float in Seattle’s yearly Pride Parade, and invite all community members to join us and celebrate your gothic pride!
It is everyone’s responsibility to understand, ask for, and choose whether to give or withhold consent. Together, we seek to create a safe and consensual space where people are accepted.
These are the consent guidelines we expect everyone who attends a Gothic Pride Seattle event, and any persons representing GPS, to abide by while you are with us (although we hope that you will follow them everywhere else as well).
- No touching people or personal property without express permission.
- Treat everyone as an equal by default. Everyone has responsibility to obtain, provide, or withhold consent regardless of sex, gender, race, ethnicity, ability, age, orientation, relationship status, sexual power dynamics, or any other identity.
- Negotiate the scope of your activities. We recommend making clear that all parties involved have given consent to the proposed acts.
- Each participant is responsible for making sure, to the best of their ability, that everyone involved has the physical, mental, and emotional capacity to give informed and voluntary consent during negotiation and during the activity itself.
- Anyone can withdraw consent at any time during any activity. All participants shall endeavor to be clear and unequivocal when withdrawing consent. (The standard safeword for all GPS events is “Safeword”.)
- All participants are responsible for stopping immediately any activity at the withdrawal of consent from anyone.
- Unless previously agreed upon, we recommend not re-negotiating in the middle of an activity.
- If your consent is violated or you experience a consent injury, verbally tell a volunteer, GPS representative, or clearly marked delegate. There is a procedure in place to help you. If you are unable to do so, inform the Gothic Pride Seattle by email as soon as possible (Info@GothicPrideSeattle.org). It is your right to report what happened to you and to ask for support.
- Violation of the consent policy may result in expulsion from the event and/or temporary or permanent ban from Gothic Pride Seattle events or activities. There are procedures in place to handle violation of this policy and those procedures will be followed by all volunteers, staff, and delegates. No one is exempt from the policy.
- Disclaimer: Every reasonable effort will be made to enforce this policy, but Gothic Pride Seattle makes no representations or guarantees about its ability to do so. Each situation is distinct and will be reviewed on a case by case basis. All participants and attendees retain full, sole responsibility for their safety and the safety of others with whom they interact.
To Report Consent Incidents or to request a Consent Advocate
- Request a member of Gothic Pride Seattle, a security volunteer, or event coordinator. They will try (to the best of their ability) to resolve the issue immediately and if unable too, will help connect you with a resource that can address it.
- Email Info@GothicPrideSeattle.org. This email is monitored by Gothic Pride Seattle Board members, who will forward emails to the President or to a Consent Advocate, depending on whomever is the appropriate person for each instance.
If you would like a printable version of this document click here GPS Consent Policy